The Exam Pattern of the SSC CHSL exam can be categorized into three tiers.
- Tier-1 examination will be objective-type and computer based.
- Tier-2 examination will be descriptive type, in pen & paper mode.
- Tier-3 examination will be skill test or typing test for the job.
Questions also carry negative markings. One thing note here is that questions in each section have been decreased by 25. Current year question paper will have 25 questions per section instead of 50 questions per section.
Here are the details of the 2017 SSC CHSL Exam pattern:
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Objective Type
- The test will have four parts- GI (General Intelligence), EL (English Language), QA (Quantitative Aptitude) and GA (General Awareness).
- It will be a computer-based test and will consist of MCQs (multiple choice questions).
- For every wrong answer, ½ marks will be deducted from the total scores.
- Each section will have 25 questions and total marks for the examination will be 200.
- Total time duration for general candidates will be 75 minutes
|General Intelligence- 25 Questions)||50|
|English Language- 25 Questions (Basic Knowledge)||50|
|Quantitative Aptitude- 25 Questions (Basic Arithmetic Aptitude)||50|
|General Awareness- 25 Questions||50|
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2017 – Descriptive Test
- Descriptive test for SSC CHSL is the Tier-2 examination. It will be held in pen & paper mode.
- Total marks allotted for this test is 100. Total duration allotted for this test is one hour.
- It is a newly introduced test which assesses the writing abilities and skills of candidates. These skills are necessary for a government based job.
- The descriptive test will consist of one essay writing part. It should be between 200-250 words.
- It is also include application or letter writing and it should be between 150-200 words.
- Candidates can write the paper in either English or Hindi. Papers written in both Hindi and English or part English & part Hindi will be rejected.
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Skill Test/Typing Test
This is the tier-3 stage of the examination. While skill test is for DEO (Data Entry Operator) position, Typing Test is for sorting assistant or postal assistant positions.
- Candidates are required to perform data entry with 8000 key depressions/hour speed on computer
- The nature of this test is qualifying
- Test duration will be fifteen minutes and each candidate will be given printed matter of about 2000-2200 key depressions/ strokes in English
- Candidates qualifying the Tier-1 (MCQ) and Tier-2 (descriptive test) will be eligible for this typing test
- Test language will be in Hindi or English and candidates are required to indicate their choice for the skill test language in application form itself.
- The nature of this test will be qualifying and test will be computer administered.
- Candidates who have chosen English medium will require typing speed 35 words/minutes and candidates who have selected Hindi medium will require typing speed-30 words/minute for qualification.